Assignment: Execute a painting using surrealism ideology.
Surrealism Definition: “20th C literary and artistic movement that attempts to express the working of the subconscious by fantastic imagery and incongruous juxtaposition [the act of placing 2 or more things side by side] of subject matter.” (from webmuseumparis). Images have a realistic though irrational style.
Brief History of Surrealism: Surrealism grew out of the DADA movement, specifically during the years 1924-1950. DADA used mostly negative imagery in an attempt to rebel against traditional art, the bourgeois, and war (WWI). Surrealism used the same type of subconscious imagery but as a positive expression of dream and fantasy with no attempt at logic. Founded by Andre Breton (wrote “Manifesto of Surrealism”). Only art produced between 1924-1950 is considered Surrealism by museums.
Some Artists of the Movement: Max Ernst, Giorgio de Chirico, Jean Arp, Man Ray, Joan Miro, Rene Magritte, Salvador Dali, Miro, Duchamp, Delvaux, Giacometti.
Ideas for the Assignment:
- Paint images from your own dreams.
- Paint images from your day dreams.
- Copy the work of an existing surrealistic painter.
- Copy the composition of a existing painting, interjecting your own images.
- Paint images from experiences happening in the news/world.
- Paint objects as symbols of emotions/experience.
- Paint still life (fruit, china, etc) in a nonsensical way.
- Paint images from your childhood/past with fantasy elements.