Hudson River School Elements
Assignment: Incorporate at least 1 aspect of the Hudson River School of Painters into your artwork.
You may consider the following aspects:
- Composition of subject – study the lines of the mountains, trees, etc.
- Relationship of sky to land. Ask, “where is the horizon placed?” Will you place the horizon 1/4 or 1/3 up on the canvas?
- What kind of clouds are used? What is the shape, movement, perspective, color?
- Use the American wilderness as the subject of the painting.
- What is the distance from the subject? How far away is the perspective of the artist? How far is the closest object?
- Include details of nature.
- Create a vast and sweeping panorama of subject.
For other ideas and to learn about this school of painters, just do a google search and input “Hudson River School of Painters”. if the internet doesn’t work for you the good ol’ library will. Please be prepared to share what you learn at our meeting (about 2-3 minutes worth). Make sure and bring your artwork whether finished or in progress. It really inspires and motivates the rest of us to see others creating.